The Junior School was founded in 1898 and moved to its present site in 1925. A history of Hereford Cathedral Junior School called "From Teddy Tail Collars to Itchy Tights" was written by Jill Howard-Jones and published by
Logaston Press in 1998. Cathedral Schools, established within a few years of the foundation of any Cathedral Church, are the oldest schools in the land. The conversion to Christianity of Mercia (late 7th Century) and the creation of a new See in the City suggests that Hereford Cathedral School would have been established by 700 AD. The first written record of the school dates to 1384.
Hereford Cathedral Junior School Historic Buildings
The school occupies a number of historic and unusual buildings ranging from the Grade two star listed No. 28 and the ancient 14th century "Hall of the Vicars Choral" right up to the 21st century RIBA award winning Moat, which houses the Pre-Prep department.
The Hereford Civic Society has, in the past, organised a Heritage Open Day to allow public access to the School's 'architectural glories'. Below you can download the guide produced for the day by David Whitehead with excellent illustrations by Simon van de Put:-
HCJS Heritage Open Day Guide 148.77 Kb
Illustrations by local artist Simon Van de Put